You’ve heard the podcasts; you’ve read the liveblogs (if you haven’t read the liveblogs, do so now). Now listen as John S and Tim break down the final game of the 2011 college basketball season. Today they’re discussing the atrocious title game, the disappointments of 2011, the permanence of parity, and the gradual effects of early entry. Click here to listen to the final Double Bonus podcast of the 2011 season!
Posts Tagged ‘2011 ncaa tournament’
It’s the Double Bonus Podcast! Today John S and Tim are recapping the Regional Semis and Finals: They’re discussing more Harrellson/Zoubek comparisons, the pantheon of Duke Sweet 16 losses, the unfair maligning of Jimmer Fredette, the genius of Brad Stevens and Shaka Smart, and, most importantly, the Elite Eight run by the Gonzaga women. Click here to listen to the sweet sounds of the Double Bonus!
Tim and John S are back to break down the second weekend of the 2011 NCAA Tournament! Today they’re discussing which really is the most exciting weekend of the year, whether or not Josh Harrellson is this year’s Brian Zoubek, the possibility of an NCAA Tournament Redemption Island, the dominance of the VCU Rams, and the last decade of Wisconsin Badger basketball. Oh, and they also give their picks for the Sweet Sixteen and the Elite Eight. Click here for the magical elixir that is the Double Bonus podcast!
Tim and John S are back for another installment of the Double Bonus Podcast! Their audio issues are slightly improved from last time, so you can actually hear them discuss how poorly their picks faired, how well the refs did, how unfairly maligned the Big East has been, and much more in a reaction the all the craziness of the first weekend. Click here to listen and all your hopes and dreams will come true!
#16 UNC-Asheville v. #16 Arkansas-Little Rock
TIM: I’ve never been to Little Rock, but Asheville’s a heck of a town. I’ve never been there either, but I knew someone from there, and they were pretty cool. Also, UALR was a .500 team in a down year for the Sun Belt.
JOHN: How dare you insult the Sun Belt?! I’m going to pick UALR for three reasons: 1) To be different. 2) I don’t like picking any UNC, no matter where it’s located. 3) Bill Clinton. Continue reading »
Tim and John S are back again! Today they’re discussing last night’s bracket announcements, and the Selection Committee has sent Tim into an existentialist tailspin that has him wondering if the world’s events can ever be anything other than random. Also discussed: the value (or lack thereof) of RPI, the meaning of the phrase “First Round,” the four #1 seeds, and which first weekend matchups they’re the most excited for. Click here and listen to the Selection Sunday episode!
What we read while Seth Greenberg wondered what he did…
- Felicia “Snoop” Pearson, who played a character of the same name on The Wire, was arrested on drug charges. David Simon issued a response criticizing America’s absurd “War on Drugs.”
- We continue our new Monday Medley tradition of linking to profiles of great college basketball analysts!
- Shortly after The New York Times Magazine profiled him, Baylor’s Perry Jones was suspended by the NCAA. The move was questioned by many.
- Nate Silver wants you to pick against Notre Dame.
- Parks & Recreation was part of PaleyFest 2011, put on by the excellent Paley Center.
- Who wouldn’t watch CNBC if Gus Johnson were reporting on the Dow?
- Rand Paul is no faint-hearted libertarian.
- More DFW stuff: After an excerpt from The Pale King appeared in The New Yorker, The Howling Fantods compared the excerpt to an earlier reading given by Wallace. Meanwhile, some are wondering if people are trying cash in on the author’s death.
- A recent episode of 30 Rock dealt with the issue of women in comedy, which has led some to wonder what Liz Lemon means to feminism. Meanwhile, Molly Lambert breaks down how to be a woman in a boys’ club. (I’ll bet you never expected a whole women’s issues bullet point in an Monday Medley!)
- An interview with an NPI favorite comedian, in which the nature of comedy is debated. Also, he balances out that whole feminism point with his on-stage misogyny.
- Have you been wondering why Tim hasn’t been recapping this season of Survivor? Well, hopefully this can tide you over….
As you can see, I don’t think the Ohio State-Penn State game means too much seed-wise. I think the Nittany Lions are in regardless of the outcome, and thus I can present, hours earlier than usual, the final bracket!
|NEWARK||SAN ANTONIO||NEW ORLEANS||ANAHEIM|
|2||Notre Dame||Connecticut||UNC||San Diego State|
|5||Saint John’s||West Virginia||Texas A&M||Arizona|
|8||George Mason||Washington||Old Dominion||Missouri|
|10||Michigan||Michigan State||Richmond||Utah State|
|12||Butler||Colorado v. Penn State||Virginia Tech v. Georgia||Belmont|
|14||Wofford||Indiana State||Long Island||Akron|
|15||Saint Peter’s||Boston Univ.||Bucknell||Northern Colorado|
|16||Hampton v. Alabama State||UC-Santa Barbara||UT-San Antonio v. Arkansas-Little Rock||UNC-Asheville|
Last Five In: Illinois, Colorado, Virginia Tech, Penn State, Georgia
Last Five Out: Alabama, USC, UAB, Harvard, Missouri State Continue reading »