What we read while wondering why nobody asked us to testify before Congress…
- On the twentieth anniversary of what may be Martin Scorsese’s best film, GQ ran a fascinating oral history of the making of the Goodfellas.
- The Sporting News lists the 20 smartest professional athletes. Biggest Disappointment? Peyton Manning’s 1030 SAT Score (yes, that is supposed to demonstrate his intelligence).
- Spend more time at NPI: the Internet makes you happier.
- The only way to describe this story is “Kafkaesque”: “The next best thing to having your stuff burned…is giving it to some guy who gives it to some lady who gives it to her daughters who keep it in an apartment full of cats, right?”
- As fans of the dearly departed (gone for almost two years now) Fire Joe Morgan, we at NPI love Fire Joe Morgan Day at Deadspin. This year Ken Tremendous, dak, and Junior took down Mitch Albom, Bill Conlin, Murray Chass, Jerry Thornton, Jim Caple, David Eckstein, and, of course, Joe Morgan, as well as many, many others. They even did it for a good cause.
- The fifth season of Dexter premiered last night, so Vulture compiled a list of Dexter’s 10 greatest kills. While some at NPI had been anxiously awaiting the premiere, this news put a damper on our excitement.
- Speaking of television premieres, Dan Harmon explained all the pop culture references in last week’s premiere of Community.