What we read while deleting our unfortunately phrased tweets…
- Kanye West may be winning the battle amongst critics, but Taylor Swift is winning amongst fans: Only Eminem and Lady Antebellum sold more records in 2010, an overall lousy year for music sales (again).
- This may be a topic for Pierre Menard: Should NFL teams start the new playoff overtime with an onside kick? Slate explores the new OT rule’s loophole. Speaking of NFL football, a simple but interesting football statistic that doesn’t make Mark Sanchez look too good.
- SplitSider does for the newly available Saturday Night Live footage on Netflix what Tim did for the NCAA Vault. P.S. There is now an ACC Vault, where you can see Randolph Childress do things like this (Jeff McInnis got his revenge with a much more effective NBA career).
- Brazil has figured out a way to end poverty: Just give poor people money!
- An oldie but very goodie we just got around to reading: Michael Paterniti on the solitary suicide catcher of Japan.
- Speaking of comedy, here is a breakdown of Marc Maron’s always enjoyable WTF podcast.
- My guess is the Binghamton fans were not quite this vitriolic when the Times‘ Pete Thamel broke a story affecting their basketball squad.