What we read while Newt Gingrich started quoting Dragon Ball Z…
- The comedy world lost another great comic last week, when Patrice O’Neal passed away at 41. Comedians from Greg Fitzsimmons to Jon Stewart to Mike Birbiglia paid tribute to O’Neal and his comedy.
- Sports Illustrated will unveil its Sportsman of the Year this week. To be honest, our two favorite candidates have already been eliminated: Here are Tim Layden on Aaron Rodgers and David Epstein on Eric LeGrand.
- A judge finally put a stop to the SEC’s policy of settling with financial firms. Many observers were quite pleased with this development, but others wondered what Judge Rakoff’s problem was.
- In these turbulent political times, it’s nice to know that some things still have bipartisan support, specifically the military’s right to detain people, including American citizens, no matter where they are captured! The draconian National Defense Authorization Act passed with support from most Republicans and many Democrats, because we are obviously at war, all the time, with everyone.
- Jonathan Chait doesn’t think paying college athletes is feasible.
- Tim and John S have been known to argue about the BCS. Now that the title game is set, Michael Weinreb makes his case for Boise State.