What we read while hiding safely in a midnight showing of Ice Age 3…
- Friday’s tragedy in Aurora, CO has the town and the rest of the country mourning. One of the victims narrowly avoided a similar tragedy just over a month ago. The shooting has also reawakened the debate on gun control. As NYC Mayor Bloomberg said: “Expressing sympathy is nice…but somebody has to do something about this.” James Fallows says that more shootings are a certainty–Will Wilkinson even wonders why we don’t see more of them. Of course, the odds of anything really changing are small.
- Antonin Scalia and his working relationship with Bryan Garner, the subject of David Foster Wallace’s famous essay on English usage.
- Speaking of Justices, some interesting memoranda from Chief Justice Roberts’s days in the Reagan administration (more than one involve Michael Jackson).
- Quite the interactive graphic detailing the use of stop-and-frisks in NYC.
- The weird relationship between Chris Christie and Bruce Springsteen.
- How much money is actually kept in offshore bank accounts?
- The use of drones… in North Dakota.
- On the implications of the A/B test.