What we read while Pussy Riot got legitimately raped…
- Some Julian Assange drama last week: First, Ecuador granted asylum to the Wikileaks founder. Then the UK threatened to storm the embassy and extradite Assange anyway. Ecuador did not like that one bit. Assange, while holed up in the Embassy in London, spoke to supporters and called on President Obama to end the witch hunt on Wikileaks.
- Pussy Riot, the Russian punk band, was sentenced to two years in a prison camp for something called “hooliganism.” The New Republic had the definitive account of the trial two weeks ago — “Question is struck!” — and N+1 translated the Dostoevskian closing statements from the band.
- Judge Richard Posner discusses leisure time and the misery of old England in a book review.
- Joe Posnanski discusses the challenge of writing Joe Paterno’s biography.
- Simon Rich tells us how to write in any medium.
- How should we evaluate the reliability of online reviews?