What we read while asking Bob Costas his thoughts on the fiscal cliff…
- It was a week of tragedy in the sports world. In Kansas City, Jovan Belcher, a Chiefs linebacker, killed himself and his girlfriend in a murder-suicide just hours before his team’s kickoff. In the college basketball world, Rick Majerus, a great coach and leader (who was responsible for one of the great moments in broadcasting) passed away at the age of 64. Earlier in the week, Marvin Miller, the pioneering leader of the MLB Players Association, died at the age of 95, still not in the Hall of Fame.
- In some better sports news, some classic Duke trash talk.
- Bradley Manning testified about his years prison, including solitary confinement, showing what type of behavior is really criminal.
- After the UN voted to recognize Palestine, Israel retaliated with more expansionist threats and could incur significant international blowback for it. Noam Chomsky weighs in on Israel’s recent clash with Gaza.
- An excerpt from Alan Sepinwall’s new book. In other TV news, thoughts on Boardwalk Empire‘s impressive third season.
- An interesting look at technological education.
- Reflections on the 50th anniversary of New York City’s newspaper strike.
- What good is airport security?