What we read while pitching A-Rod high and inside…
- The NSA violates privacy rules thousands of times per year according to their own internal audit. They also target journalists critical of the government. Surely, the nine hour detention of Glenn Greenwald’s partner has nothing to do with that… Given all these abuses and problems with the surveillance state, is it time for a new Church Committee?
- Speaking of Greenwald, how he and Laura Poitras broke the NSA story with Edward Snowden’s help.
- New York’s mayoral race is heating up, particularly on the heels of a ruling calling stop-and-frisk unconstitutional. Mayor Bloomberg is, of course, appealing the decision.
- Does Breaking Bad sensationalize meth? And why Big Pharma is helping meth cooks. In other drug war news, a small victory.
- Matt Taibbi on the college loan scandal.
- Saying goodbye to Honey’s of Durham, NC.
- An upcoming biography/documentary on the reclusive J.D. Salinger.