What we read without asking for Congressional approval…
- President Obama sought Congressional approval for an attack on Syria, just days after he appeared to be going forward with any oversight at all. The request, which asks for broad powers, comes in the wake of the alleged use of chemical weapons by Assad’s forces in Syria, though the strike would not qualify as a humanitarian intervention. The FBI is already monitoring Syrians in America.
- An in-depth and appalling look at the NYPD’s Demographics Unit, which is devoted to spying on Muslims throughout New York City based on the vaguest of suspicions. Strange, considering the NYPD’s otherwise stellar record on civil liberties.
- This week in oral histories: The story of “London Calling.”
- A comprehensive look at the life of Yahoo! CEO Marissa Mayer.
- The road that led Brad Stevens to the Boston Celtics.
- Jack Handey’s favorite SNL sketches of all-time.
- Yet another look at Derek Jeter’s defense.