What we read while our surprise album went completely unnoticed…
- Ryan Lizza’s excellent in-depth look at the growth of the NSA under Obama, and why attempts at “reform” are doing little. Also, Conor Friedersdorf on the lies the NSA has told.
- Speaking of which, Edward Snowden was TIME’s runner-up for Person of the Year, though some think he should have won, given his global impact. And Glenn Greenwald on what he’s learned.
- Deadspin debunks arguments against paying college athletes.
- Against the idea of “guilty pleasures.”
- Two experts from Occupy the SEC weigh in on the new Volcker Rule, which turns out to be not that bad!
- David Foster Wallace’s bromance with his favorite grammarian.
- Was the trivia challenge episode of Friends not on the level?
- Roger Angell is going to the baseball Hall of Fame.
- Protest the NYPL’s Central Library Plan tomorrow.