What we read while NOT turning the game off when the Chiefs were up 28…
- New York City said goodbye to Michael Bloomberg and ushered in the Bill de Blasio era. Will de Blasio stay true to his campaign theme and tackle rising inequality? And will he reign in the NYPD?
- Everything you ever wanted to know about baby names.
- David Roth’s five-part series on the World Cup and Qatar is well worth your time. Plus, you have until 2022 to digest it.
- The New York Times called Edward Snowden a whistle-blower and joined those making the case for granting him a pardon. Conor Friedersdorf dismissed claims that doing so would set a dangerous precedent, particularly given the illegal nature of what he exposed, and the fact that his oath was to the Constitution, not secrecy. And Glenn Greenwald explains why privacy is important.
- Lorde and Tavi Gevinson talk for a long time about what it’s like to be 17 and super successful.
- Chris Kluwe explains why he’s not in the NFL anymore.