What we read while taking multiple small steps…
- The summer of gun violence continued at the Empire State Building this week, though this time it was the police who did a lot of the damage.
- In other sad news, this week also saw the deaths of Neil Armstrong and Tony Scott. Ben Zimmer at Language Log addresses the alleged flub of Armstrong’s first words on the moon. Meanwhile, Tyler Cowen excerpts a bunch of fascinating articles on Armstrong.
- Ron Paul will not be speaking at the Republican National Convention this week because he doesn’t fully endorse Mitt Romney, but he held his own rally last night in Tampa. What is the future of the libertarian wave he helped start? Rand Paul, meanwhile, will be speaking about defense spending tomorrow.
- Michael K. Williams, who played Omar Little on The Wire, opens up about his past.
- Will Leitch on Lance Armstrong.
- Roger Ebert discusses Gene Siskel’s disdain for “Lip Flap,” which sounds pretty much like small talk.
- What can the Pussy Riot sentence teach Americans?