What we read while using as much of our brains as we felt like…
- The violence in Gaza continued to rage, claiming over 1,000 lives, mostly civilians. The effects of the violence ripple outward, and some Israelis are refusing to serve. How is the conflict being covered in the media?
- The Intercept disclosed the nebulous methodology used to deem someone a “terrorist” and conduct heightened surveillance, raising alarming constitutional issues. Also, a look into the government’s prosecution of terror cases against Muslims.
- On an even graver note, this guy can’t find a pen!
- The New York Times endorsed marijuana legalization.
- A Greg Maddux retrospective, in honor of his Hall of Fame ceremony. Also, Joe Posnanski on the new HoF voting rules.
- How the Civil Rights Act was extended to include women.
- Another look at a guaranteed minimum income.
- How autocorrect evolved to “fix” your text messages.
- What to read in the unlocked New Yorker archives.