What we read while praying for Mariano’s ACL…
- Adam Yauch, or MCA of the Beastie Boys, died last week at the age of 47. He was a founding member of one of the most influential and pioneering acts in hip-hop. Yauch was often cited as the conscience of the group, which was often noted for its conscience–whether they were calling out the widespread misogyny in hip-hop, or opposing American foreign policy.
- In other news from the music world, some thoughts on the recent anniversary of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.
- The Occupy movement mobilized for May Day last week, organizing a series of protests that were (shockingly) met with police resistance. The scenes were oddly familiar. In other Occupy news, the scenes from UC Davis last fall were actually not as bad as they looked; they were worse.
- Jeff MacGregor on the aged gracefulness of Rivera and Martin Brodeur.
- Junior Seau’s death just added to the unbelievable curse of the ’94 Chargers, chronicled back in 2008 by Les Carpenter.
- One of Mitt Romney’s former employees claims the rich aren’t rich enough. Meanwhile, what would a President Romney’s foreign policy look like?
- On the death of Community‘s beloved ancillary character, Starburns.
- President Obama, as told by his ex-girlfriends.
- We want this Pontiac.